2016-17 Regional Rules and Regulations
Ages & Fees
Ages & Fees
|Teachers||14 & UP||$280||$20|
|Assistants||Minimum Age 14||$260||$20|
|Senior||14 & UP||$240||$20|
|Teen||11 through 13||$240||$20|
|Junior||7 through 10||$240||$20|
|Camp Dance||3 through 6||$150||$20|
|Camp Dance Observer||N/A||$30||N/A|
- May observe and participate in all ballrooms
- All Camp Dance classes will be offered in the Teacher’s room
- When dancing in student rooms, please be respectful and dance to the side or in the back of the room behind the student dancers.
- Convention and Competition information will be sent to registered teachers approximately 10 days prior to convention and will also be available on your city page.
- All registered teachers will receive an Official Studio Packet, which will include a teacher handbook, scholarship numbers, wristbands, and other surprises.
- Teachers receive VIP access to Teacher’s Luncheon. (Teachers Only – no Assistant Teachers or Observer wristbands).
- May not participate in competition.
- May not register as assistants or observers.
- There are no one day rates available for teacher classes.
- May observe and participate in all ballrooms.
- May participate in competition
- May participate in Senior auditions
- All attendees will be issued a wristband which allows access only to their assigned room.
- Wristbands may be changed at the DMI booth with a registered teacher.
- Are allowed with paid student only.
- Must pay appropriate fee.
- Have no access to Teacher classes
- Must be respectful to the dancers taking class and take all discussions and phones outside the ballroom.
Camp Dance Observers
- Wristbands are available to observe Camp Dance only.
All scholarships are nontransferable and property of the recipient’s studio.
Regional Scholarships – Junior and Teen Audition Class
- We are happy to be holding auditions now in the Junior and Teen rooms in every regional city. These audition classes ease the dancers into the audition process in an encouraging and educating manner! Students chosen from these auditions will be awarded Regional Scholarships, which are valid for any one regional city. These scholarships must be used within one year.
These scholarships are valid for our 2017 Summer Intensive in Nashville, TN. The Summer Intensive gives students an intimate, hands-on learning experience to prepare them for the professional world. You will get choreography from the world’s leading instructors, seminars, agency classes, auditions, video reel and more!
- Full Scholarship to our Summer Intensive – this scholarship allows the recipient to come to our 2016 Summer
Intensive free of charge.
- Half Scholarship to our Summer Intensive – This scholarship allows the recipient to come to our 2016 Summer Intensive for half the total price.
The Giving Keys Scholarship
- DanceMakers has teamed up with our friends at The Giving Keys and are giving away a key necklace engraved with “Truth” accompanied with a Nationals Scholarship.
- Retter’s One Week Scholarship allows the recipient to enjoy a full week of classes at Retter’s Academy of Dance in Agoura Hills, CA. 20 minutes from Hollywood, 10 minutes form Malibu. Most recipients use this scholarship at the exciting Retter Summer Intensive where Retter staff pair up with guest teachers to make it one of the most exciting and memorable dance experiences ever. (Space limited based on timely registration). Call Retter’s at 818.889.5774 for dates and more details.
- Clifton’s One Week Scholarship allows the recipient to enjoy a full week of classes at Clifton Dance Project in Huntington Beach, CA. Most recipients use this scholarship at the Summer Workshop, which includes a full week of classes and a final Showcase at the end of the week.
Regional Scholarship-Steven Boyd
- DMI Regional Scholarships will be awarded to outstanding students from the DanceMakers event.
Movement Lifestyle Scholarship
- This scholarship is valid for 10 classes at the Movement Lifestyle studio in Los Angeles, CA. You may use this scholarship at any time, but there is a 30 day expiration after your first class is redeemed. To receive your class card, simply present this scholarship to the Movement Lifestyle front desk.
- These scholarships are awarded by our core faculty members to dancers in the Camp Dance, Junior, Teen and Senior ballrooms in each city. The scholarship is valid for our 2017 Nationals held in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Registration and payment must be received 21 days before event to avoid late fees.
- Classes may be closed when maximum capacity of registrants is reached.
- Registration and payment must be received before attending event’s cut off date to avoid late fees. Cut off dates for all events are available on the tour page. If registration is received after the cut off date, there will be a $20 late fee applied to each attendee. If payment is received after the cut off date, there will be a flat $100 late fee applied to the registration.
- DanceMakers does not accept personal or studio checks at events. Checks are accepted for payments made by cut off date.
- No admittance to ballrooms without a wristband – NO EXCEPTIONS.
- There are no refunds. Studio credits are available for convention only to the studio owner only.
- Independent registrations for the convention will be accepted.
- One day rates are available. Contact home office for more information.
- Dancers that are registered in the competition must be registered for the full weekend and cannot register for the one day workshop.
- Walk up registration will be permitted the weekend of the convention only if space is available.
- Walk up and add on registrations must be paid by cash, credit card, cashier’s check or money order.
- Wristbands for entry into ballroom must be worn throughout the convention and competition. Do not remove wristband. If replacement wristband is needed, your old wristband must be presented.
- No oversized dance bags or luggage allowed in the ballroom. Keep all belongings as far back against the walls as possible.
- All dancers must wear cover-up and shoes when outside the ballroom area. No tap shoes and no bare feet outside ballrooms.
- Please be respectful of other guests in hotel and public spaces.
- Choreographers and all attendees automatically give their permission to DanceMakers to use all photos and videos for advertising, publicity, and professional use.
- Photo and video during convention are allowed.
- DanceMakers proudly presents “The Collective – an elite company.” Dancers who show an “it” factor are hand chosen at Nationals by our faculty and invited to attend every stop on tour for free. The criteria is based on recognizing technique, drive, style or attitude. The members of “The Collective” will have the privilege of training, studying and performing with our world renowned teachers and choreographers. This program allows outstanding dancers to become a part of the DMI FAM and travel the country as assistants, performers and staff members for a well rounded experience in the dance industry. The opportunities gained in being a part of this once in a lifetime program will add to the work experiences and performing opportunities for dancers who are on the road to a professional career. DanceMakers will handle travel arrangements and/or accommodations for “The Collective” for select cities.
The Collective JV
- DanceMakers proudly presents “The Collective JV – an elite company.” Dancers in the Junior and Teen level who show an “it” factor are hand chosen at Nationals by our faculty and asked to be a positive representation of DanceMakers in the younger age divisions as assistants. The criteria is based on recognizing technique, drive, style or attitude. The members of “The Collective JV” will have the privilege of training and studying with our world renowned teachers and choreographers. This program allows outstanding dancers to become a part of the FAM and travel the country as assistants for a well rounded experience in the dance industry. In addition to becoming DanceMakers assistants, “The Collective JV” Will be given a year scholarship to all DanceMakers Conventions for the following year, honored at all Awards Ceremonies, such as the Warm Up and Wrap It, receive head shots, apparel and of course, the iconic “The Collective JV” letterman jacket. Just like “The Collective” DanceMakers will handle and sponsor travel arrangements and/or accommodations for the dancers chosen for “The Collective JV” for select cities each season making it the only program in the industry providing financial support to programs.
Teachers Attend Fee
- There is a $28.00 credit for each paid student toward teacher registration at each attending city, which equals 1 FREE teacher for every 10 paid students.
- This discount can only be applied to Teacher registration, NOT Assistant Teachers.
- All attendees, excluding observers, attending a second Regional city receive a 50% discount on convention fees.
DanceMakers has made arrangements with each host hotel to give a free $50.00 observer wristband for each room that is reserved in the DanceMakers room block during the DanceMakers Regional city. Since DanceMakers has had considerable problems with both false credentials from clients and from difficult negotiations with hotels, there are specific requirements to qualify for this special.
- The room reserved must be in the DanceMakers room block. You must confirm that your room is in the block when you make the reservation. Room reservations not listed in the hotel room block are not eligible for a free wristband.
- Room reservations made after the hotel cut off will not be in the room block and will not qualify for the free wristband.
- Rooms made under military rates or reserved with online discount agencies (Orbit, Hotels.com, etc.) will not be in the room block and will not qualify for the free wristband.
- Rooms reserved for a rate less than the advertised DanceMakers room rate will not be in the room block and will not qualify for a free wristband.
- Once the DanceMakers room block is full, there will be no free observer wristbands available.
- The hotel is completely responsible for rooms being in the DanceMakers room block. If reservations are not listed in the room block, DanceMakers has no ability to make any adjustments. Adding a room to the DanceMakers room block is the sole responsibility of the hotel venue.
- Receipt of the free wristband is solely dependent on showing the hotel confirmation and presenting the ID of the person whose name is on the reservation.
- Free wristbands are available only at the designated observer wristband table and only at designated hours. Hours for obtaining wristbands are posted for each city and normally are the same time as general registration but may vary by city.
|Senior||15 & UP|
|Teen||13 through 14|
|Pre-Teen||10 through 12|
|Junior||7 through 9|
|Camp Dance||3 through 6|
Age of group is determined by adding students age together and dividing by the number of dancers in the routine. Disregard decimal points. NEW! The age of the student is their age as of Jan 1, 2017.
Competition Fees & Time Limits
|Category||Fee||Time Limits||# of Competitors|
|Production||$45||6:00||17 or more|
A 5 point deduction will be taken if the time limit is exceeded.
|Ballet||Classical Ballet steps using slippers or pointe shoes including Classical, Pointe and Modern|
|Jazz||Any Jazz technique including up tempo|
|Lyrical||Lyrical technique with emphasis on the lyrics or mood of the music|
|Contemporary||Mix of styles with emphasis on Modern Technique or Ballet or Contemporary Movement|
|Musical Theatre||Any performance utilizing the style or interpretation of Broadway, Musical Theatre or Hollywood Choreography|
|Hip Hop||Hip Hop or Street Moves|
|Variety||Combination of any of the above styles – A routine that includes 4 or more tricks (a trick is considered any movement when dancers feet go over their head). Or Acro-Gymnastics – Novelty – Clogging – Ethnic – Pom-Poms – Ballroom.|
|Stage Presence||20 Points|
|Overall Impact||20 Points|
- Judges may determine that a routine is entered incorrectly and may move it to the correct subject without penalty
- Judges decisions are final
- If for any reason a number is repeated, the judges scores from the original performance become the basis for the final score
- General Props are permitted
- There is a 30 second time limit to move props on or off. Anything over 30 seconds will result in a 5 point deduction. Production numbers have a 60 second time limit.
- This time limit includes clean up or sweeping time, which is the studio’s responsibility, including confetti/glitter/feathers etc. Stage must be left clean by performers.
- No studio logos are allowed while on stage helping with props. Any obvious studio affiliation will result in a 5 point deduction.
- Teachers, parents, or students may assist with props.
- No props or costume pieces to be thrown into judges or audition area.
- No helium balloons
Photography & Video Cameras
- Photography and Videotaping during competition are strictly prohibited. Advanced technology of video on cell phones, cameras, etc has forced us to prohibit all camera use during competition. This includes ALL still photography, with or without flash. This is to protect the rights of the choreographer as well as your children’s safety, and to make it possible for DanceMakers to offer a professional photography and video service. Any violations can result in routine and/or studio being disqualified.
Competition Judging Packet
- Studio competition packets will be available Sunday at 8 – 11 a.m. This includes score sheets, CD’s from competition and Judging Critique USB’s. Only teachers can pick up competition packet. Packets not picked up before 11 a.m. will be mailed the following week.
General Competition Rules
- Parents, family and friends may observe competition for no entry fee.
- There will be reserved seating for teachers.
- In an effort to maintain the values of a family competition, DMI expects that all routines be age, music and costume appropriate. All of these issues are subjective. We are aware that our guidelines may be too strict for some sensibilities and not strict enough for others. There is a fine line that we take very seriously.
- No cell phones or distractions. Any violations can result in a routine and/or studio being disqualified.
- No saving seats.
- Competing dancers must be registered at DanceMakers Convention as a student or assistant to be eligible to compete.
- Dancers that are registered in the competition must be registered for the full weekend and cannot register for the one day workshop.
- No Teachers or professional dancers are permitted to compete.
- Talking, lip syncing and singing are acceptable. Microphones are prohibited.
- No use of fire.
- All competitors are required to wear convention wristbands.
- Dancers may compete in more than one number. Any dancer may compete against themselves in any age division, category and subject.
- A soloist will be permitted one entry only.
- Teachers will be responsible for producing birth certificates to verify age, should challenges or questions arise.
- All information concerning competition will be available on your city page 10 days before registered city.
- There are no refunds or credits for competition fees.
- Friday Competition start times may vary. It is possible for competition to start as early at 8 am, but is unlikely to happen in the majority of cities. We will start in solo competition moving from the youngest age category to the oldest. After completing the solo competition, it is possible, but not guaranteed and is unlikely we will move into other routines such as duo/trio and groups starting in the youngest age divisions. If duo/trios and groups are scheduled to compete on Friday, they will not be scheduled before 3 pm. If any routine that is schedule on Friday is unable to perform due to scheduling issue and school, DanceMakers is happy to provide a full refund for those routines.
- Choreographers and all attendees automatically give their permission to DMI to use all photos and videos for advertising and publicity.
- All entrances and exits must be done from stage left or right. No entrances or exits from front or back of stage.
- DanceMakers has the right to close competition at any point.
- In order to compete, performers must be represented by a studio.
- Music Uploading – Please log into your DanceMakers Account and upload your music!
- Music submission is still accepted on CDs, although music uploading is much more convenient. If submitting music on a CD, all music for competition must be on ONE master CD and ONE back up CD.
- Label CD with Studio name
- All music must be turned in before competing. Final deadline is 11a.m. on Saturday.
- Please list tracks in order of competition.
- Stage size could vary from 24′ x 40′ to 32′ x 40′ with marley. Stage will have wings.
General & Adjudication Awards
|High 1st Place||96-100 Points|
|1st Place||90-95 Points|
|2nd Place||80-89 Points|
|3rd Place||70-79 Points|
- Solo Competition – Soloists will receive an adjudication score on their studio score sheets, but will not be announced for an adjudication award. All soloist will receive a participation Award.
- Group Competition – All group routines will receive an adjudication score on their studio score sheets and will be announced for an adjudication during competition award ceremony.
- All Overall Winners will be announced at Wrap It Ceremony the final day of convention.
- All routines that score 80 points or higher qualify to compete at Nationals.
Solo Overall Awards
|High Score||Trophy / Free Routine to Nationals|
|5th-10th Runner-Up||Announced at Wrap It Ceremony|
|DanceAgain!||Performs at the Wrap It Ceremony||Judges choose favorite routines to dance again at the Wrap It Ceremony on Sunday. These are announced at the last awards ceremony on Saturday evening.|
|Judges’ Pick||Trophy||Routines the judges pick for special recognition in each age division and category nondependent on scores. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony.|
|Judges’ Top Pick||Trophy||The routine the judges felt was most entertaining nondependent on scores. Can be from any age division or category. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony.|
|Style High Score||Plaque||High Score in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior), category (Duo/Trio, Group, Line or Production) and style (Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary, Musical Theatre, Hip Hop or Variety). Example: “Junior Duo/Trio Tap High Score”. Announced at the routine’s assigned awards ceremony on either Friday or Saturday evening.|
|Category Runner Up||Trophy||Runner Up in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior) and category (Duo/Trio, Group, Line or Production). Example: “Junior Duo/Trio Runner Up”. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony on Sunday.|
|Category High Score||Trophy||High Score in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior) and category (Duo/Trio, Group, Line or Production). Example: “Junior Duo/Trio High Score”. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony on Sunday.|
|Age Division High Score||Trophy||High Score in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior) excluding Category High Scores. Example: “Junior High Score”. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony on Sunday.|
|Overall High Score||Trophy/Free Routine Entry for Nationals||Highest Score in all of group competition excluding Category High Scores and Age Division High Scores. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony on Sunday.|
|The Shaffer Studio||$250 Competition Voucher for Nationals||This will be awarded to the studio that shows support, encouragement, professionalism and shares their love for dance with others throughout the event. This award is in honor of Mr. Doug Shaffer who has shared his love of dance with others for many years.|
|The Standout Studio||$250 Competition Voucher for Nationals||This will be awarded to the studio that stands out in convention work and competition performance.|
Time Varies Depending on Competition Start Time – Will Always Open at least one hour before competition begins
Competition start times may vary. It is possible for competition to start as early at 8 am, but is unlikely to happen in the majority of cities. We will start in solo competition moving from the youngest age category to the oldest. After completing the solo competition, it is possible, but not guaranteed and is unlikely we will move into other routines such as duo/trio and groups starting in the youngest age divisions. If duo/trios and groups are scheduled to compete on Friday, they will not be scheduled before 3 pm. If any routine that is schedule on Friday is unable to perform due to scheduling issue and school, DanceMakers is happy to provide a full refund for those routines.
All Solos will receive a Solo Participation Award directly following their routine. All Overall Awards will be presented Sunday at the Wrap It Ceremony.
All other routines (Duo/Trio and Group) routines will be presented a Placement Award during their designated Awards Ceremony. Times will vary depending on Competition. All Overall Awards will be presented Sunday at the Wrap It Ceremony.
Friday Night Bonus Classes
DanceMakers will be offering Bonus Classes on Friday evenings! Start times could range from 5 pm until 10 pm.
|7:30 am||Warm Up and Registration|
|8 – 9 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|9 – 10 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|10 – 10:30 am||Autograph and Photos at DanceMakers Red Carpet|
|10:30 – 11:15 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|11:15 – Noon||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|Noon – 1 pm||Lunch|
|1 – 2 pm||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|2 – 3 pm||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|3 pm – Until||Competition – Competition start times may vary.|
All Duo/Trio, Group, Line and Production routines will be presented a Placement Award during their designated Awards Ceremony. Times will vary depending on Competition. All Overall Awards will be presented Sunday at the Wrap It Ceremony.
|7 – 11 am||Registration|
|7 – 8 am||Class|
|8 – 9 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|9 – 10 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|10 – 10:30 am||Autograph and Photos at DanceMakers Red Carpet||Class|
|10:30 – 11:30 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|11:30 – 12:30 pm||Lunch||Teacher’s Luncheon||Lunch|
|12:30 – 1:30 pm||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|1:30 pm – 2:30 pm||Class||Class||Class|
|2:30 – 3:45 pm||Wrap It Ceremony…Everyone Welcome! – Showroom – No Wristbands Required.|