Ages & Fees
|Teachers||14 & UP||$385||$20|
|Assistants||Minimum Age 14||$335||$20|
|Senior||14 & UP||$300||$20|
|Teen||11 through 13||$300||$20|
|Junior||7 through 10||$300||$20|
|CDA||3 through 6||$200||$20|
Registration Release Date
Registration for Nationals will open on May 17th, 2017 (9 am pacific time). Put it on your calendar! Convention and Competition registration may close before cut-off-date, which is June 2nd, 2017, once maximum capacity is reached.
- May observe and participate in all ballrooms
- All Camp DanceAdventure classes will be offered in the Teacher’s room
- When dancing in student rooms, please be respectful and dance to the side or in the back of the room behind the student dancers.
- Convention and Competition information will be sent to registered teachers and will be available on the Nationals Page on June 14th, 2017.
- All registered teachers will receive an Official Studio Packet, which will include a teacher handbook, scholarship numbers, wristbands, and other surprises.
- Teachers will have access to the teacher’s lounge for the entire week of Nationals. The teacher’s lounge is a private ballroom for all teachers to have a “break area” to relax. Breakfast and lunch will be provided in the teachers lounge on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (breakfast only on Thursday). There will be coffee available all day in the teacher’s lounge as well. (no assistant teachers)
- Teachers are invited to the Welcome Cocktail Party (Sunday evening) and Teacher’s Luncheon (Wednesday afternoon).
- May not participate in competition.
- May not register as assistants or observers.
- May observe and participate in all ballrooms.
- May participate in competition.
- May participate in Senior auditions.
- All attendees will be issued a wristband which allows access only to their assigned room.
- Wristbands may be changed at the DMI registration table with a registered teacher.
- Wristbands are available for purchase at the DMI registration table.
- Are allowed with registered student only.
- Have no access to Teacher classes.
- Must be respectful to the dancers taking class and take all discussions and phones outside the ballroom.
Camp Dance Adventure Observers
- Wristbands are available for purchase to observe CDA only.
All scholarships are nontransferable and are property of the recipient’s studio. Scholarships are only valid for the awarded attendee, year, and/or event. Scholarships hold no cash value.
Find Your Truth Scholarships
- Each faculty member will present scholarships to select students who demonstrate outstanding ability in a style of dance. The students will receive a scholarship to attend two Regional Conventions during the 2017-18 tour at no cost.
These scholarships are valid for our 2017 Summer Intensive in Nashville, TN. The Summer Intensive gives students an intimate, hands-on learning experience to prepare them for the professional world. You will get choreography from the world’s leading instructors, seminars, agency classes, auditions, video reel and more!
- Full Scholarship to our Summer Intensive – this scholarship allows the recipient to come to our 2017 Summer
Intensive free of charge.
- Half Scholarship to our Summer Intensive – This scholarship allows the recipient to come to our 2017 Summer Intensive for half the total price.
The Giving Keys Scholarship
- DanceMakers has teamed up with our friends at The Giving Keys and are giving away a key necklace engraved with “Truth” accompanied with a Full Year Scholarship to the 2017-18 tour.
Social Media Scholarship
- This scholarship allows the recipient to join us on our 2017-18 tour with a year-long Regional Scholarship! It is awarded to one dancer who shows us love throughout the week on Instagram. Be sure to use the hashtag #fyttour and tag @dancemakersinc to be eligible for this year-long Regional Scholarship.
Movement Lifestyle Scholarship
- This scholarship is valid for 10 classes at the Movement Lifestyle studio in Los Angeles, CA. You may use this scholarship at any time, but there is a 30 day expiration after your first class is redeemed. To receive your class card, simply present this scholarship to the Movement Lifestyle front desk.
Pace University Scholarship – $5,000
- DanceMakers will be issuing a $5,000 scholarship to Pace University to the finalist of the audition process at Nationals. The finalist will be accepted into Pace University’s Dance Program and awarded the DanceMakers Scholarship. The finalist will need to be accepted academically to Pace University separate from the audition process. The scholarship recipient must be an upcoming Junior, upcoming Senior and/or graduating Senior. The audition process will be held in the Senior room during the week of Nationals and the winner will be announced on Thursday at the Wrap It Ceremony.
Pace University Intensive Scholarship
- Full scholarship to the Pace University Intensive.
- Registration for Nationals will open on May 17th, 2017 (9 am pacific time)! DanceMakers will not be accepting any registrations for convention or competition prior. Put it on your calendar! Convention and Competition registration may close before cut-off-date, which is June 2nd, once maximum capacity is reached.
- Registration and payment must be received June 2nd to avoid late fees. If registration is received after the cut off date, there will be a $20 late fee applied to each attendee. If payment is received after the cut off date, there will be a flat $100 late fee applied to the registration.
- Convention and Competition information will be sent to registered teachers and will be available on the Nationals Page on June 14th.
- Classes and competition will close when maximum capacity of registrants and competition is reached. This could happen before cut-off date.
- DMI does not accept personal or studio checks at events. Checks are accepted for payments made by cut off date.
- There are no refunds. Studio credits are available to the studio owner only for convention only.
- Independent registrations for convention only will be accepted.
- One day rates are available. Contact DMI offices for more information.
- Dancers that are registered in the competition must be registered for the full week and cannot register for the one day workshop.
- Walk up registrations will be permitted the week of the convention only if space is available.
- Walk up and add on registrations must be paid by cash, credit card, cashier’s check or money order.
- Wristbands for entry into ballroom must be worn throughout the convention and competition. Do not remove wristband. If replacement wristband is needed, your old wristband must be presented.
- No Admittance to ballrooms without a wristband – NO EXCEPTIONS.
- No oversized dance bags or luggage allowed in the ballroom. Keep all belongings as far back against the walls as possible.
- All dancers must wear cover-up and shoes when outside the ballroom area. No tap shoes and no bare feet outside ballrooms.
- Please be respectful of other guests in convention and hotel.
- Choreographers and all attendees automatically give their permission to DanceMakers to use all photos and videos for advertising, publicity, and professional use.
- Photo and video are allowed only during convention. Photo and Video is NOT allowed during competition.
- DanceMakers proudly presents “The Collective – an elite company.” Dancers who show an “it” factor are hand chosen at Nationals by our faculty and invited to attend every stop on tour for free. The criteria is based on recognizing technique, drive, style or attitude. The members of “The Collective” will have the privilege of training, studying and performing with our world renowned teachers and choreographers. This program allows outstanding dancers to become a part of the DMI FAM and travel the country as assistants, performers and staff members for a well rounded experience in the dance industry. The opportunities gained in being a part of this once in a lifetime program will add to the work experiences and performing opportunities for dancers who are on the road to a professional career. DanceMakers will handle travel arrangements and/or accommodations for select cities each season for “The Collective”.
The Collective JV
- DanceMakers proudly presents “The Collective JV – an elite company.” Dancers in the Junior and Teen level who show an “it” factor are hand chosen at Nationals by our faculty and asked to be a positive representation of DanceMakers in the younger age divisions as assistants. The criteria is based on recognizing technique, drive, style or attitude. The members of “The Collective JV” will have the privilege of training and studying with our world renowned teachers and choreographers. This program allows outstanding dancers to become a part of the FAM and travel the country as assistants for a well rounded experience in the dance industry. In addition to becoming DanceMakers assistants, “The Collective JV” will be given a year scholarship to all DanceMakers Conventions for the following year, honored at all Awards Ceremonies, such as the Warm Up and Wrap It, receive head shots, apparel and of course, the iconic “The Collective JV” letterman jacket. Just like “The Collective”, DanceMakers will handle and sponsor travel arrangements and/or accommodations for the dancers chosen for “The Collective JV” for select cities each season.
Teachers Attend Fee
- There is a $38.50 credit for each paid student toward teacher registration at each attending city, which equals 1 FREE teacher for every 10 paid students.
- This discount can only be applied to Teacher registration, NOT Assistant Teachers.
DanceMakers has made arrangements with the host hotel to give a free $60.00 observer wristband for each room that is reserved in the DanceMakers room block during the DanceMakers National event. Since DanceMakers has had considerable problems with both false credentials from clients and from difficult negotiations with hotels, there are specific requirements to qualify for this special.
- The room reserved must be in the DanceMakers room block. You must confirm that your room is in the block when you make the reservation. Room reservations not listed in the hotel room block are not eligible for a free wristband.
- Room reservations made after the hotel cut off will not be in the room block and will not qualify for the free wristband.
- Rooms made under military rates or reserved with online discount agencies (Orbit, Hotels.com, etc.) will not be in the room block and will not qualify for the free wristband.
- Rooms reserved for a rate less than the advertised DanceMakers room rate will not be in the room block and will not qualify for a free wristband.
- Once the DanceMakers room block is full, there will be no free observer wristbands available.
- The hotel is completely responsible for rooms being in the DanceMakers room block. If reservations are not listed in the room block, DanceMakers has no ability to make any adjustments. Adding a room to the DanceMakers room block is the sole responsibility of the hotel venue.
- Receipt of the free wristband is solely dependent on showing the hotel confirmation and presenting the ID of the person whose name is on the reservation.
- Free wristbands are available only at the designated observer wristband table and only at designated hours. Hours for obtaining wristbands are posted and normally are the same time as general registration.
|Senior||15 & UP|
|Teen||13 through 14|
|Pre-Teen||10 through 12|
|Junior||7 through 9|
|Camp Dance Adventure||3 through 6|
Age of group is determined by adding students age, as of date January 1, 2017, together and dividing by the number of dancers in the routine. Disregard decimal points. Competition routines will compete in original age division they pre-qualified in at Regionals event.
Competition Fees & Time Limits
|Category||Fee||Time Limits||# of Competitors|
|Production||$45||6:00||17 or more|
- A 5 point deduction will be taken if the time limit is exceeded.
- For all extended routines, please contact the Home Office for special pricing.
|Ballet||Classical Ballet steps using slippers or pointe shoes including Classical, Pointe and Modern|
|Jazz||Any Jazz technique including up tempo|
|Lyrical||Lyrical technique with emphasis on the lyrics or mood of the music|
|Contemporary||Mix of styles with emphasis on Modern Technique or Ballet or Contemporary Movement|
|Musical Theatre||Any performance utilizing the style or interpretation of Broadway, Musical Theatre or Hollywood Choreography|
|Hip Hop||Hip Hop or Street Moves|
|Variety||Combination of any of the above styles – A routine that includes 4 or more tricks (a trick is considered any movement when dancers feet go over their head). Or Acro-Gymnastics – Novelty – Clogging – Ethnic – Pom-Poms – Ballroom.|
|Stage Presence||20 Points|
|Overall Impact||20 Points|
- Judges may determine that a routine is entered incorrectly and may move it to the correct subject without penalty
- Judges decisions are final
- If for any reason a number is repeated, the judges scores from the original performance become the basis for the final score
- General Props are permitted
- There is a 30 second time limit to move props on or off. Anything over 30 seconds will result in a 5 point deduction. Production numbers have a 60 second time limit.
- This time limit includes clean up or sweeping time, which is the studio’s responsibility, including confetti/glitter/feathers etc. Stage must be left clean by performers.
- No studio logos are allowed while on stage helping with props. Any obvious studio affiliation will result in a 5 point deduction.
- Teachers, parents, or students may assist with props.
- No props or costume pieces to be thrown into judges area.
Photography & Video Cameras
- Photography and Videotaping during competition are strictly prohibited. Advanced technology of video on cell phones, cameras, etc has forced us to prohibit all camera use during Competition. This includes ALL still photography, with or without flash. This is to protect the rights of the choreographer as well as your children’s safety, and to make it possible for DanceMakers to offer a professional photography and video service. Any violations can result in routine and/or studio being disqualified.
Competition Judging Packet
- Studio competition packets will be available Thursday at 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. This includes score sheets and CDs from competition. Only teachers can pick up competition packet. Packets not picked up before 11a.m. will be mailed the following week.
General Competition Rules
- Parents, family and friends may observe competition for no entry fee.
- There will be reserved seating for teachers.
- In an effort to maintain the values of a family competition, DMI expects that all routines be age, music and costume appropriate. All of these issues are subjective. We are aware that our guidelines may be too strict for some sensibilities and not strict enough for others. There is a fine line that we take very seriously.
- No cell phones or distractions. Any violations can result in a routine and/or studio being disqualified.
- No saving seats.
- Competing dancers must be registered at DanceMakers Convention as a student or assistant to be eligible to compete.
- Dancers that are registered in the competition must be registered for the full week and cannot register for the one day workshop.
- No Teachers or professional dancers are permitted to compete.
- Talking, lip syncing and singing are acceptable. Microphones are prohibited.
- No use of fire.
- All competitors are required to wear convention wristbands.
- Dancers may compete in more than one number. Any dancer may compete against themselves in any age division, category and subject.
- Teachers will be responsible for producing birth certificates to verify age, should challenges or questions arise.
- All information concerning competition will be available on Nationals Page on June 14th, 2017.
- There are no refunds or credits for competition.
- Choreographers and all attendees automatically give their permission to DMI to use all photos and videos for advertising and publicity.
- All entrances and exits must be done from stage left or right. No entrances or exits from front or back of stage.
- DanceMakers has the right to close competition at any point.
- In order to compete, performers must be represented by a studio.
National Competition Rules
- DMI applies the 50% rule for Nationals. All competition routines must be 50% of the original material including costume, music, choreography, and dancers.
- Competition routines may not change subject.
- Competition routines will compete in original age division they pre-qualified in.
- A competition routine may drop down, but may not go up in a category. Example: A line can drop to a group, but may not go up to a production.
- NEW! Music Uploading – Please log into your DanceMakers Account and upload your music!
- Music submission is still accepted on CDs, although music uploading is much more convenient. If submitting music on a CD, all music for competition must be on ONE master CD and ONE back up CD.
- Label CD with Studio name
- All music must be turned in before competing.
- Please list tracks in order of competition.
|High 1st Place||96-100 Points|
|1st Place||90-95 Points|
|2nd Place||80-89 Points|
|3rd Place||70-79 Points|
- Solo Competition – Soloists will receive an adjudication score on their studio score sheets, but will not be announced for an adjudication award.
- Group Competition – All group routines will receive an adjudication score on their studio score sheets and will be announced for an adjudication during competition award ceremony.
- All Overall Winners will be announced at Wrap It Ceremony the final day of convention.
Solo Overall Awards
|High Score||Trophy / Scholarship to the ENTIRE 2017-18 Tour / Tiara or Baseball Cap / Company Performance|
|1st Runner-Up||Trophy / Two city Regional Convention Scholarship to the 2017-18 Tour / Company Performance|
|2nd Runner-Up||Trophy / Two city Regional Convention Scholarship to the 2017-18 Tour / Company Performance|
|3rd Runner-Up||Trophy / Two city Regional Convention Scholarship to the 2017-18 Tour / Company Performance|
|10th-20th Runner-Up||Announced at Crowning Ceremony|
- All Overall Awards are presented to each age division in male and female.
- High Score through 3rd Runner-Up in all ages and 4th-9th in Teen and Senior must be available to perform in the Wrap It Ceremony and all daily rehearsals.
- Soloists cannot win consecutive titles in the same age division.
|DanceAgain!||Performs at the DanceAgain Showcase||Judges choose favorite routines to dance again at the DanceAgain Showcase. These are announced at the last awards ceremony.|
|Judges’ Pick||Trophy||Routines the judges pick for special recognition in each age division and category nondependent on scores. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony.|
|Style High Score||Plaque||High Score in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior), category (Duo/Trio, Group, Line or Production) and style (Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary, Musical Theatre, Hip Hop or Variety). Example: “Junior Duo/Trio Tap High Score”. Announced at the routine’s assigned awards ceremony.|
|2nd – 5th Place in Category||Trophy||2nd – 5th in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior) and category (Duo/Trio, Group, Line or Production). Example: “Junior Duo/Trio 2nd Place”. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony.|
|Category High Score||Trophy/$500||High Score in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior) and category (Duo/Trio, Group, Line or Production). Example: “Junior Duo/Trio High Score”. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony.|
|Age Division High Score/$1,000||Trophy||High Score in each age division (Camp Dance, Junior, Pre- Teen, Teen or Senior) excluding Category High Scores. Example: “Junior High Score”. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony.|
|Performance of the Year||Trophy/$2,000||Highest Score in all of group competition excluding Category High Scores and Age Division High Scores. Announced at the Wrap It Ceremony.|
|The Shaffer Studio||Trophy/$500||This will be awarded to the studio that shows support, encouragement, professionalism and shares their love for dance with others throughout the event. This award is in honor of Mr. Doug Shaffer who has shared his love of dance with others for many years.|
|The Best Studio Choreography||Trophy/$500||This will be awarded to the studio that has the best overall choreography throughout competition.|
|The Most Technical Studio||Trophy/$500||This will be awarded to the studio that has the best overall technique throughout convention and competition.|
|The Standout Studio||Trophy/$500||This will be awarded to the studio that stands out in convention work and competition performance.|
|The Breakthrough Studio||Trophy/$500||This will be awarded to the studio that has the most overall improvement from Regionals to Nationals.|
|The Studio of the Year||Trophy/$1,000||Studio of the Year is awarded to the studio who embodies greatness in all aspects at Nationals. This includes, but is not limited to, competition, convention and the in-between moments throughout the event. This studio is to represent the highest caliber in dance, along with being supportive and encouraging to other dancers. The Studio of the Year is to represent DanceMakers values and mission and is meant to inspire other studios throughout the country.|
Saturday, June 24, 2017
Solo competition will begin. The start time is TBD, but could be as early as 10 a.m.
Sunday, June 25, 2017
Solo competition continued and followed by Solo Crowning Ceremony. Group competition (Duo/Trio/Group/Line/Production) will begin in the afternoon directly after the Crowning Ceremony.
Directly following competition DanceMakers will host The Drop Party featuring DJ Remidee as well as a Teacher’s Cocktail Party. Times TBD.
Monday, June 26th - Wednesday, June 28th, 2017
|7:30 am||Warm Up and Registration|
|8 – 9 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|9 – 10 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|10 – 10:30 am||Autograph and Photos at DanceMakers Red Carpet|
|10:30 – 11:15 am||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|11:15 – Noon||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|Noon – 1 pm||Lunch|
|1 – 2 pm||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|2 – 3 pm||Class||Class||Class||Class|
|3 pm – Until||Competition – Competition start times may vary.|
All Duo/Trio, Group, Line and Production routines will be presented a Placement Award during their designated Awards Ceremony. All Style High Scores will be awarded as well. Times will vary depending on Competition. All Overall Awards will be presented Sunday at the Wrap It Ceremony.
|DanceAgain Showcase Announcements
All DanceAgain Performances will be announced at the last Competition Awards Ceremony in Showroom C.
Time of classes TBD. Classes will be held during competition.
Thursday, June 29, 2017
Classes from 8am until 12pm
12pm – 1:30pm. Be sure to check out all of the performances, scholarships and prizes for Nationals! Everyone welcome. No wristbands required.
The National DanceAgain Showcase
The National DanceAgain Showcase will feature the TOP performances from our Nationals Competition. These routines have been hand chosen by our judges from both Showrooms to DanceAgain! From this showcase, all judges from the week will view the routines and chose the Performance of the Year that wins not only the title, but $2000 in CASH PRIZE! Come and check out the top performances from the Nation! DATE AND TIME TBA